This topic was on the forefront of my mind this past weekend, as both Mr. Saver and I have come down with some awful stomach virus that’s been making the rounds among friends and family lately. Mr. Saver has gotten the brunt of it, unfortunately.
We’ve tried the usual home remedies for nausea: warm ginger ale, tea with lemon and honey (I had to give Mr. Saver decaf tea, since the littlest bit of caffeine has him bouncing off the walls). I’m partial to flat Coca-Cola — I used to take the Coca-Cola syrup they sold back in the 80s, but I haven’t seen that in years.
I wound up looking up a number of other home remedies online. While some of them have potential, frankly, some of them are just plain weird:
1. Grate ginger root into a cup of tea. I’ve done it with ground ginger — not too bad.
2. Mix 1 tbsp each of apple cider vinegar and honey in a glass of cold water.
3. In 2 cups of water, boil ½ cup of rice for 10 minutes. Once cooked, strain the rice water and have it when warm. (EW?!)
4. Mix 2 tsp. of wheat germ in warm milk. Have the drink every hour.
5. Eat saltine crackers. It’s an old standby for pregnant women, but it sometimes works for plain-old nausea.
When I was a kid, dry toast and tea with honey/lemon were the go-to home remedies for nausea. Plain toast is boring, but you need “boring” when your stomach is trying to heave its way out of your body via your esophagus.
I think I’d have to stick with the tried-and-true ideas, rather than the ones I consider to be “weird.” I’ll be taking a pass on ever trying the “rice water” tip or the wheat germ and milk gimmick. The apple cider vinegar and honey is a possibility.
It seems that every illness has its own list of home remedies. Both Mr. Saver and I tend to shy away from any type of over-the-counter or prescription medicines, unless it’s just some Tylenol or Motrin every once in a while for a bad headache. Someone suggested a prescription drug called Compazine, but that’s a bit much. I’d rather this stomach bug just works itself out on its own.
Have you tried any home remedies for your illnesses? How did it work out?